FREE and $5 Giveaways on National Tortilla Day
You know we are crazy about tortillas at Costa Vida. They are the foundation of deliciousness, the first ingredient to building so many of our award-winning menu items. We take the time to make our tortillas from scratch each morning and cook them fresh to order on a traditional comal. No bags, no additives, just a simple tortilla made from real ingredients.
National Tortilla Day is June 4 and as you can imagine, we can hardly wait! We’re celebrating by giving away free tortillas hot off the comal to every guest. You will be amazed at the difference between a freshly grilled tortilla and the kind you can buy at the grocery store. We are also giving away smothered sweet pork burritos for $5 all day long! Our best-selling menu item wouldn’t be the same without our homemade tortillas.
We’re able to make over 10 million tortillas each year at Costa Vida because of our dedicated team and high-powered tortilla presses. But at home, making fresh tortillas for your family with a restaurant-grade press is not an option. You can purchase inexpensive home tortilla presses like this one and this one, but there is also a DIY option. It takes just a few steps, and trust us the final product is so worth it!
- Separate your tortilla dough into equally-sized pieces according to your dough recipe. Roll into balls.
- Cut two 6 inch circles out of parchment or wax paper (Cut larger circles if you are making larger tortillas)
- Sandwich a ball of dough in between the center of the paper circles
- Using a rolling pin, roll the ball of dough until it is the size of the paper circles. Alternatively, press the ball of dough (while it’s sandwiched between the paper circles) with a heavy pie plate or cast iron skillet until it is the size of the circles. *Your pressed tortillas should be about 1/8 inch thick
- Remove the paper from either side of the pressed tortilla and repeat steps 3 and 4 on remaining dough *layer wax or parchment paper between your pressed, uncooked tortillas to prevent sticking
- Heat a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat. Cook tortillas one at a time on one side for 1-2 minutes, flip, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve hot or wrap the stack of tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm
So how will you celebrate National Tortilla Day with us? Free tortillas? $5 smothered sweet pork burritos? Both? We like the way you think. See you June 4th!